Well that’s what my neighbour said in our conversation (paraphrased below) about whether I’d bought my lottery ticket.
Neighbour: “Have you got your lottery ticket?”
Neighbour: “Why not?”
Me: “Don’t need one.”
Neighbour: “You must be loaded then!”
Neighbours: “God doesn’t pay your Mortgage.”
Me: “He does.”
Me: “Well he’s given me my job.” (Implied – my salary covers the mortgage payments.)
Neighbour: “Well, that’s a different way of looking at things!”
My neighbour’s statement isn’t incorrect either – God’s bank account isn’t directly paying my mortgage lender for me.
However, I do believe God exists and that through his word in the Bible certain fundamental principles apply to [my] life.
- Matthew 6:28-34 “…and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.”
- God hasn’t given us life, or put us in our situation without considering how to resource us.
- Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
- Though the Bible doesn’t say specifically where I will live, or what job I will do; God’s plan for my life is in operation.
- Our sphere of control is limited and has boundaries. However understanding who God is; and why he wants to relate to us, gives shape and form to the situation and reality in which we exist.
- My life will end one day, however I won’t. As Jesus came to tell us that there was more!
Just so you know, life is still hard, I get things wrong and make mistakes. But God is there and can be trusted and that makes the difference.
References from http://www.biblegateway.com/ in New International Version.