The London Olympic Games of 2012, was the 1st games to benefit from ubiquitous social and media sharing from athletes, audience and the primary media broadcasters.
These links, images, videos – summarise for me some of those memories that have formed an indelible mark across our global memory.
The Opening Ceremony:
My Game Highlights:
Medals, Stats and Stories of Note:
Final Medal count:
10961 Athletes, from 205 countries, 11 countries represented with only 2 athletes, 4 countries with over 400 athletes (Australia – 414, Russia – 441, USA – 539, Great Britain – 558).
- Total Gold medals – 304
- Total Silver medals – 297
- Total Bronze medals – 357
- Number of countries that won any medal – 87
Stories of Note:
- Michael Phelps – most decorated Olympian of all time (22 medals)
- Sir Chris Hoy – most decorated British athlete
- Hiroshi Hoketsu – the oldest competitor taking part in the London Games – aged 71 (also >> Hiroshi Hoketsu, takes the reins)
- Ian Millar – record for most Olympic appearances (10 games)
- Manteo Mitchell – ran 400m relay on a broken leg (also >> Olympics relay: Broken leg for Manteo Mitchell of US)
Disclaimer: No credit for images as shared via the London2012 site – and presumed shareable due to links in the photo galleries.